Bristol Hypnotherapist Reveals 3 Powerful Hypnotic Techniques That Will Help You Achieve Your Fitness Goals
We all recognise the importance of developing a positive mindset when it comes to achieving anything in life. Nothing is truer than when we decide to get fitter, healthier and stronger, because it takes a lot of willpower and effort to remain committed to our workout routine.
There are so many things happening in our daily lives which means it can be so easy to make excuses to justify missing a workout here and there, which in turn prevents us from achieving our goals.
As a hypnotherapist in Bristol, I spend much of my time helping people use the power of their mind to transform their lives for the better.
Your subconscious mind is extremely powerful so why not put it to good use and help you dramatically improve your chances of hitting your fitness goals.
Here are 3 hypnotic techniques you can use to tap into your subconscious mind to help boost motivation, maintain commitment and finally get the body you want.
1. Boost Motivation
We may start off feeling very motivated to hit the gym and thrash away on the treadmill but let’s be honest; we’re all human. Sometimes our motivation takes a hit!
So how can we boost motivation?
The first step is to simply recall a time when you felt very motivated. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a time related to fitness. It could be, but it’s not important. What is important is that you are able to recall the feelings of motivation and determination, whatever the circumstance.
- Close your eyes and remember a time where you felt incredibly motivated. See yourself inside the picture.
- Take a minute to really expand your awareness of the moment. Notice what you see, notice all the colours, listen to the sounds and feel all the sensations and feelings. Make the picture bright and colourful, the sounds loud and the feelings strong.
- When it looks and feels really good, float inside that you in the picture, so you’re looking through your eyes and listening through your ears and feeling incredibly motivated.
- Take this motivated feeling with you into the gym and really imagine yourself working out. Feel the movement of your body as you’re training the way you want to. Feel yourself pulling, pushing, lifting, muscles flexing, listen to your breathing, feel your body alive and energised.
- Spend a few minutes vividly imagining yourself exercising and enjoying these good feelings of incredible motivation. Go through the rehearsal a few times. Make it feel really good.
- Then when you’re ready, open your eyes.
2. Model Your Icons
If you want to succeed at anything in life, it’s helpful to observe how others have gone before you.
Perhaps you know someone who transformed their body into a lean mean muscle machine or managed to shed several pounds in a very short period of time.
Look to others who have achieved what you want to achieve and study their behaviour. Notice their strengths, attitudes, mindset and beliefs that helped them succeed.
In NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming), we call this modeling and the following technique is going to help your ‘borrow’ other’s success.
- Close your eyes and think of someone who really inspires you. It might be a sporting icon, a great champion.
- Take a few moments to really imagine that person right in front of you. Notice the way they train, the way they move, all of their sweat, determination and grit to be the best they can be, no matter what.
- Make the picture bright and colourful, make the sounds loud. Make this picture look and feel really good!
- Then, imagine floating inside this person’s body. Look through their eyes and listen through their ears as you feel their strength and determination to be the best they can be. Take a few minutes to immerse yourself inside this experience and ‘borrow’ from their success.
- Then when you’re ready open your eyes and notice the change in how you’re feeling.
3. Visualise Success
You’re never going to know when you’ve arrived at your destination if you don’t know what the destination looks like.
Your conscious mind is like the captain of the ship and your subconscious, the happy crew of sailors. To arrive at the ship’s port of disembarkation, the captain must tell the sailors where they need to go. Only then can they sail the ship towards its destination.
In the same way, your conscious mind needs to be clear in its objective. You must use your conscious mind to clearly communicate with your subconscious and let it know which direction it needs to go.
This can be achieved through visualisation. Simply spend a few moments imagining what your final destination looks like.
- Close your eyes and imagine a large screen in front of you. Project an image of you, exactly the way you want to look and feel.
- Notice the expression on your face, your body posture, the shape and size of your body. Notice all the changes that let you know you’ve done it! You’ve achieved the body you deeply desire. Make this picture bright and colourful. Listen to the sounds and make this picture look really appealing.
- When it looks and feels really good, float into this future you. As you imagine looking through your future eyes and listening through your future ears. Imagine a typical day, moving around, doing the things you want to do, wearing the clothes you want to wear, enjoying your new body and feeling all the good sensations and feelings.
- After a few minutes enjoying this experience, open your eyes.
So there you have it. Three hypnotic techniques you can use in the comfort of your own home to fire up motivation and maintain commitment towards achieving your fitness goals.
Remember; you get more of what you focus on.
By Greg Nejedly
Greg Nejedly is a Bristol hypnotherapist based on North Street, Southville with over 15 years experience. He’s been helping people transform their lives using hypnosis and a Solutions Focused approach.
Hypnotherapy Bristol Practice www.hypnotherapybristolpractice.co.uk