Circuit training. Do you love it? Hate it? Love to hate it? Hate to love it?
Regardless of your stance on circuit training, there are SO many great benefits associated with this style of exercise, including:
- Improvements in cardiovascular and aerobic fitness
- Greater muscular strength and endurance
- Takes up little space and can be performed anywhere!
- Similar to HIIT, it burns a significant amount of calories
- Increased adherence to an exercise routine
- Increased social interaction during your workout And SO much more!!
Here's a little sample circuit training workout we've put together for you. Let us know how you get on with it - we love hearing from you!
CIRCUIT 1: using a cable machine, box, and/or step
- 12x high to low oblique twist - one knee on ground, with your inside knee to a cable machine at a 90 degree angle, “chopping wood” diagonally, high to low
- 12x single leg step up (each leg) - stepping onto a box or step
- 12x single arm kneeling back row (each side) - your right knee is at a 90 degree angle, your left left knee is down, and your right arm is pulling the cable machine
CIRCUIT 2: using a cable machine, free weights, a box, and/or step
- 12x oblique twist (each side) - same as in circuit 1, except modifying the movement so that your outside knee is up on a 90 degree angle, then pull the cable directly across your body
- 12x total up and overs - using a box or step, swapping out left and right foot
- 12x single leg lunges (each side) - with dumbells in each hand, bend your right knee to 90 degrees while your left knee lunges back. repeat on each leg.
CIRCUIT 3: using cable machine, a box, and/or step
- 12x low to high oblique twist (each side) - your outside knee should be at 90 degrees, using the cable machine to “chop wood” from low to high (opposite of circuit 1)
- 24x cross back lunge (each side) - up on a box, your right foot stays put, while your left foot touches floor, alternating to each side of the box
- 30 second side plank (each side)
CIRCUIT 4: using free weights and a 10lb bar
- 12x each side lateral lunges
- 12x single leg hip raise (each side) - pause on top, one foot pointing straight up during lift, while your other leg is at a 45 degree angle with your heel/ball of the foot on a box
- 48 rowers total with 10lb bar
And, if you're interested in taking a circuit training class at our Ashton location, may we recommend you check out:
- Box fit circuits on Wednesdays at 19:15
- Circuits on Fridays at 17:30
- Box fit circuits on Saturdays at 10:15
- Circuits on Sundays at 10:15