WHAT IS YOGA AND WHY SHOULD I TRY IT?
We could start by answering a very basic question; what is Yoga and why is it so popular?
Very simply put, Yoga is a series of stretches and poses combined with breathing techniques. It's gentle on your body (though some styles are intense and vigorous), yet offers all the benefits of exercise... almost anyone can do it, regardless of age or fitness level. But Yoga is so much more than just that... it's a practice that unites the mind, body, and spirit.
Like we mentioned, there are a variety of different styles of yoga. Some are more intense, others are relaxing and meditative. Rest assured, no matter which type you choose, yoga is a great way to stretch and strengthen your entire body, focus your mind, and relax your spirit.
BENEFITS OF PRACTICING YOGA
Yoga has a tremendous number of great benefits... not to mention that it can help you remain fit through all stages of life. Here are just a few of the amazing advantages of incorporating Yoga in your health and fitness routine:
- Yoga can help improve a variety of health conditions, including high blood pressure, poor blood circulation, arthritis, and osteoporosis.
- Slower, calming types of yoga can be really great for improving limited mobility or lower back pain.
- One of the most important benefits of yoga isn't purely physical - it's relaxation of the mind. To put it simply, Yoga teaches you to pay attention to your body; learn it's tension, stress, and/or pain points. As you get deeper into your practice, you can clear your headspace... potentially helping with headaches, tension, stress relief, and even depression!
- Each yoga pose targets specific muscles, thus, helping you increase your flexibility and reducing your risk for injury.
- Because Yoga is often centered around rhythmic, focused breathing, it can help you improve your overall focus and concentration.
- If more vigorous styles of yoga are more your style, these can help you gain strength and physical stamina.
- Yoga can help improve your posture, because many of the poses strengthen and open up tighter areas of the body like your shoulders and upper back!
- Lastly, yoga helps improve your stability, balance, and coordination. Many of the balancing poses require you to use your core muscles, which improves your overall stability.
YOGA OFFERINGS AT WORKOUT BRISTOL
If we've convinced you to try a class, we've got quite a few for you to choose from:
- Vinyasa Flow (Ashton) - Mondays at 12:30
- Harbourside Yoga - Mondays at 18:30
- Power Yoga (Ashton) - Mondays at 20:05
- Harbourside Yoga - Tuesdays at 13:10
- Advanced Yoga (Harbourside) - Tuesdays at 19:00
- Hatha Yoga (Ashton) - Tuesdays at 19:45
- Advanced Yoga (Harbourside) - Wednesdays at 12:10
- Vinyasa Flow (Ashton) - Wednesdays at 12:45
- Harbourside Yoga - Wednesdays at 17:45
- Advanced Yoga (Harbourside) - Wednesdays at 18:30
- Sunrise Power Yoga (Ashton) - Thursdays at 07:00
- Hatha Yoga (Ashton) - Thursdays at 10:20
- Advanced Yoga (Harbourside) - Thursdays at 17:45
- Yoga All Levels (Harbourside) - Thursdays at 19:15
- Hatha Yoga (Ashton) - Thursdays at 19:30
- Wellness Yoga (Harbourside) - Fridays at 17:30
- Harbourside Yoga - Saturdays at 10:20
- Hatha Yoga (Ashton) - Saturdays at 11:15
- Hatha Flow Yoga (Ashton) - Sundays at 11:15
As always, for our most up-to-date timetables, head to the Classes section of our website!