First time at the gym? No problem. We miiiight be biased, but we truly think Workout Bristol is the friendliest, most welcoming gym in the greater Bristol area.
So, you've never been to the gym before? Not to worry - this week, we've answered some of your most frequently asked questions you might have about the gym.
What should I wear to the gym? Wear what you feel comfortable in. Many of our members wear comfortable and breathable clothing - whether cotton or sweat wicking fabric - it's really up to you! Just make sure you can move comfortably! Additionally, make sure to wear trainers that provide you with enough support.
What do I do with my stuff while I'm working out? Lockers are available at both sites, but we recommend you bring a padlock. If you only have a phone and a water bottle (maybe a towel), you can always carry these with you from machine to machine - just make sure no one will trip on them while you're working out.
Gym etiquette I should be aware of? Please wipe down the machines after you use them - spray and paper towels are available on every floor of the club. Additionally, please return any equipment after you use it... especially the dumbbells/free weights!
What should I do first? This can vary for different people. Think about what your fitness goals and ability are, do a bit of research, or ask our reception team for ideas/pre-written workouts. For some workout ideas, check out the next section! A good way to get started is to register for one of our group fitness classes, as you'll be guided in each exercise by our motivating and passionate fitness instructors. Don't worry - our classes are accessible to ALL levels and abilities! Additionally, make sure you book your free induction! Our staff will take you around the gym and show you how to use the gym equipment so you feel comfortable and supported.
Again, the workouts you decide to do should match your fitness goals and physical ability. As a general guideline, we'd recommend starting out with just 3 sessions per week so your body can get comfortable settling into it's new routine. You can always add more as your body gets used to the training! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Warm-up and stretching: head/neck rolls, shoulder rolls, quad stretches,
- Easy cardio: start by walking on the treadmill, or doing a low impact elliptical programme. Slowly build your way up to a slow jog on the treadmill, or increase the resistance on the elliptical as you grow more confident.
- Free weights: we'd recommend starting with a combination of chest and triceps, or back and biceps, or legs and shoulders, followed by a short core session. Check out our sample core workout here.
- Once you get more comfortable, try looking up HIIT (high intensity interval training) or circuit workouts. These are a very effective way to work your full body strength. Check out our sample workout here.
Exercise.co.uk also provides great resources for gym beginners. Check out their full 6 week beginner programme here, or request your very own, personalised gym programme from one of our PTs (a small fee applies for this).
If you're still nervous about starting the gym, try a few of these things to calm your nerves:
- Visit at quieter times (mid-day is typically the quietest)
- Take a group fitness class
- Train with a friend or coworker
- Do a bit of reading/research before you come in, or ask our friendly reception/management team to show you around!
- On that note, be sure to take advantage of your free induction!
- Additionally, many of our PTs are in/around the gym during the day. You can ask them for a few pointers, or even book a consultation if you're interested in personal training.
- Create an upbeat and motivating gym playlist
- Challenge yourself - you'll often find nerves quickly subside, and you'll feel great after getting your sweat on!
Remember: walking through the door makes you a winner. YOU GOT THIS! And, if you're in need of a quick pep talk or motivating chat, come say hello! We're happy to help and always available for our members :)